Thursday, February 14, 2013

Intro

Chip:

I've been with the U.R.G.E. for over 3 years now. This is my 3rd season as Head Coach. I fell in love with derby while living in Jacksonville, Fl. After I saw my first bout I was hooked. When I moved back to SC I created a facebook account and saw that one of my old friends was on a team in the area. After missing several bouts I finally agreed to come out to a practice and help. I'm not going to lie, one thing I loved about derby was the tattooed, rock n' roll ladies. Any reason that I could hang out with them was all I needed. So for the first practices I showed up and hung out creepily in the corner trying to learn the game. They needed help with refs and I wasn't about to just jump in there and start making penalty calls. Over time I learned the game and started incorporating myself more into practices.

The team has gone through many changes and I've seen a lot of them. After losing the coach that was in place when I first started there was a period without a coach and we had skater run practices. When it came time to bout we borrowed a coach from the area. When he showed up he knew nothing about the girls. So, with my knowledge that I had about the team from being at every practice I helped him create a line-up. After creating the line-up the suggestion was made that I help pass out the helmet covers. The bout was a success and we beat Rogue in NC.

Showing competence in passing out the helmet covers and creating line-ups in the heat of the moment put me in the position to start doing it all by myself. There have been bouts where I've been the sole bench coach pulling double duty in the effort to win games. Sometimes we've been successful and sometimes we have not. Other times we've extended the invitation to experienced people in the derby community to come and help us out.

I have coach invitationals and helped with other derby teams in the area. I always enjoy the thrill of the bout and having a reason to get to yell at people. I get mad at situations and not people. I am passionate about the game, and yes I want to win while having fun doing it. I am very competitive and want to see my team win. I don't like blow-outs and I love to be a part of a close game. I enjoy derby!

I have seen my roster change a lot over the years and I am very excited about the group of skaters and volunteers I have this season. Just this week I was filled with a joy that made me glad to have stuck it out through all of the times that have frustrated me. Not everything you hear about me is true. If you want to form an opinion of me talk to me first. I am very transparent and I'll let you know how things happen. If I'm in the wrong I have no problem admitting it even if I don't like it, although it doesn't happen often.

I am blue through and through. I will go down fighting with this team. There is nothing more that I want to see than a winning season year after year. I will stand by every skater on my team, and I know that they have been underestimated for far too long. And yes, you can get better by skating for this team. I've seen it happen. I am pushing them and they are pushing back and before you know we'll be taking a victory lap around a rink near you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment