Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Butthurt

Two weeks ago today was such a crappy day for me. The kids drove me crazy all day and a bunch of little things kept going wrong. My husband, Jordan, had class after work, which meant I had to wait an hour longer than usual for him to come home and help me. I decided I probably wouldn't go to roller derby. I just couldn't. I felt tired and awful. I posted a message to that effect to the team and tried to muddle through the afternoon. But by the time Jordan came home, I was so frustrated and angry I just wanted to scream. I knew I needed to skate it off, so I took off by myself and made it to practice a few minutes late.

It was a fun practice with some interesting drills, and I was so glad I went. One of the last things we did was a hitting drill, using the football pad instead of each other. It's definitely something I need to work on! I missed the pad, grazed the pad, and then the last time around I got mad and sprung up into it. Just as I was thinking yay, I finally got it right, I realized I was also completely off balance. And, whammo.

I usually fall forward. The times I have fallen on my butt or some other awkward way, I've been fine--just some big bruises that I'm honestly kind of proud of! But this time was different. I tried to skate it off, but it just was not happening. Two weeks later, my tailbone is still not right and I'm getting impatient to skate again! I miss it!

At first I thought it'd be better in a couple of days. I had no idea, leaving practice that night, that I'd still be out two weeks later! It's mostly just annoying at this point and isn't stopping me from doing anything other than sitting on it a certain way, but I just don't feel I can risk falling on it again and really hurting myself. I've got three little kids to take care of. The thing is, I really want to skate. Bad.

Yes. It's come to this. I am going to see if I can order them tonight, and I'm hoping I'll be able to remove all the pads except the tailbone one. I never thought I'd be wearing a pair of styro-packed shorts a la Ice Princess, but I am buying some now. Skating always trumps no skating, and these things are hopefully going to get me back to practice this Monday or the next at the latest. Luckily these are made for roller derby and are not as funny looking as the ones in the movie. I already consulted with a friend who has told me they worked well for her. In the meantime, maybe I'll go running.

No comments:

Post a Comment