Thursday, August 2, 2012

Punched in the leg by a wheel

And it is looking more and more awesome all the time.

Roller derby was so much fun last night. It had been a frustrating, negative day (I should have stayed off Facebook!) and by the time Jordan got home I wanted to punch someone. Then I went to roller derby, got all that negative energy out, and one of my wheels punched me in the leg. Ouch. But we went home (by way of Zaxby's, my fave!) and it was a happy, sweaty, exhausted night, which is just what I wanted.

We worked on skating close together (hard for me!), whips, and falls/stops/turns. Eventually, during the last part, my legs got tired and I was just everywhere. That's when the skate punch to the leg occurred. Also, Jordan and I arrived at practice early, so before anyone else arrived he put out little cones for me to jump over. I love jumping over cones for some reason--it's so fun!

I thought I'd make a list of the skills I still need. I think I've tried almost everything, but many of them need lots of work. There are some things I'll think I have, and then during drills my ability to carry it out is disappointing. I'm trying, but I need more practice! So here's where I am right now...

Skills I still need: 180 toe stop, hip whips, arm whips, hitting, blocking, actual playing in any position, general understanding of derby rules and strategy. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

Kinda getting there but need lots of work: plow stop, t-stop, 180 knee falls, clockwise crossovers.

Recent skill acquisitions I'm way too excited about: jumping, one-foot glides.

No comments:

Post a Comment