Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Spooked

When it comes to derby, the past few days have not been good for me. I'd had a bunch of fun, challenging, confidence-building practices. But a couple of people I know (and at least one other I've heard about) have had some rather serious injuries recently. Involving casts. I feel so bad for them! And I've been a little spooked. I always knew derby was rough, and I still want to do it. It's just that my kids are so little and challenging and everywhere and having certain injuries would make taking care of them next to impossible--and cost a fortune in medical bills. I'd feel a lot better about it if we lived in Canada.

Anyway, I'm not giving up skating. I don't think I could at this point. It's drastically improved my mental health. I've met some awesome people that I would really miss. Giving up something as challenging and fulfilling as derby would leave a pretty big hole in one's life, I'd imagine. I'm not even sure what could fill it. So I'm going to skate, and if I'm going to skate, I'm going to have to stop worrying and be all in.

As for practice last night, I didn't get much done. I worked on one-foot glides (the right is sometimes shaky), and spent a lot of time on 180 toe stops (aka switchbacks). Those 180's are driving me nuts and put me in an even worse mood. I did get some advice from Con Artist and I think they are a least a little improved. Practice will be better on Wednesday. And I'll be better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment