Tuesday, January 15, 2013

After nearly a month off

After nearly a month off from practice (Christmas break plus a couple of days I personally took off), I was glad to be skating again last night!  I am sad to say I've gained back some weight that I lost last year when Jordan and I trained for our 10K.  Time to fix that!  Hopefully our new jogging stroller will help me find some time to run or skate outdoors, too.

We did a lot of clockwise ("wrong" way) skating last night, which I needed.  It felt a lot less awkward by the end of practice.  Even though I haven't passed my 25 in 5 again yet, I feel good about where I am with speed and endurance.  Still lots of work to do, but I'll get there.  What continues to aggravate me is the 180 toe stop.  Back over the summer, I spent almost entire practices on this one thing.  I can do it now, just not at a high enough speed that it would be useful in a bout or most drills--and I can only do it to the right.  Last night we were told we need to be able to do it in both directions!  At least that's something I can put my skates on and practice in the living room.

The highlight of practice for me was having my trucks loosened.  Raven, our team captain, asked if they might be too tight and they were!  Jordan loosened them a little and that made it much easier to turn, and especially made it easier to lead with the foot on the inside of the turn.  I'd been having trouble with that.

It was a fun night.  Sometimes, especially after a busy day taking care of the kids, it can be hard to find the motivation to make it to practice.  But later, as I'm walking back to the van all sore and sweaty, I'm glad I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment