Friday, January 25, 2013

Derby Saved My Soul

So often in life we wish we could just forget the daily worries of money, relationships, work, and raising kids. If you are anything like me, your mind is constantly jumping from one responsibility to another with little time to focus on one given task.

When I strap on my skates and hit the track the worries of the day and the stresses of work and home disappear. They may only disappear for those 2 hours that I'm pushing myself to every breaking limit I have, but for that 2 hours I focus on me, I focus on pushing myself to new physical limits and gaining new skill sets. As sweat pours down my face I can't help but smile and laugh as I conquer new challenges and overcome fears. At practice, you don't have time to think about the bill you are 2 weeks late paying, you don't have time to think about that report you didn't finish for your boss... no, if you think of anything other than that blocker next to you or that jammer coming around the track then your ass is going to feel that cold hard floor before you realize what or really who hit you.


Assuming I should probably introduce myself, I'm Juicy. I'm 31 years old, a single mom of 3 beautiful kids, I work full time as an office administrator, part time as a waitress, and I currently serve on my teams Board as Secretary. (Yes I'm a VERY BUSY WOMAN but I rarely ever miss practice or an event for my team) It's been almost a year since I joined the Derby community. It all started with a simple Internet search to find an activity to help me with a goal to lead a more healthy life. After one practice with URGE I was hooked! When I first joined Derby I could skate (barely), stopping was a laughing matter, and falling happened often (and no, not in the correct Derby form of falling). Watching the other girls fly past me on skates, stopping on a dime, jumping, and beaming with confidence had me addicted. I wanted to have that same confidence and I wanted to know what it mean to be invincible.

Me with my amazing kiddos!

Derby became my therapy, it became the time I could forget everything wrong in my life, and focus on making myself better. After a few months of training and really pushing myself I went through my assessments right before entering into my first Bout. I never imagined I'd have so much fun! My first bout was quite the learning experience, I don't think I got many hits in and I probably looked like a lost sheep but I still had a blast!
My First Bout (I'm the one with the HUGE smile on her face in the back)


5 Bouts and a scrimmage later I can proudly say I feel like a Derby Girl. I'm stronger, faster, and much more skilled than I was just 10 months ago. Every practice I gain more confidence and strength as a skater. I still have a lot to learn but I can honestly say I am moving in the right direction. Derby has saved my soul and I mean that in every sense possible.

If you are considering derby or if you just want to know more about Derby don't hesitate to contact me at juicy@upstaterollergirlevolution.com


1 comment:

  1. That's such a cute derby pic of you! I have experienced the same thing with forgetting my problems at practice. I am prone to anxiety, but I can't think about it at practice, and then when I get home I am too tired and just fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete