Saturday, January 26, 2013

Let me introduce Myself


                                               Me as a fresh meat skater. I was very shy back then.
                                                 
 My Name is Arson (Full Metal Arsonist) I have been skating with U.R.G.E since about the end of Dec. 2011.

 I started roller derby because I felt like I never did anything for me, I was always busy keeping my children happy or working to pay the bills. I was very timid about the sport at first but I had some amazing women pushing me to do better and encouraging me along the way. Within my first week I had falls down and crossovers, I wanted to skate with the Vets badly. I pushed myself to my limits, always how much faster can I go, How can I get up from a fall faster. I worked my butt off for a few weeks and finally I was ready to skate with the Vets it was the most exciting day for me, I finally reached my goal, I was finally a derby girl. I had my first scrimmage which helped a lot and gave me knowledge you can only gain from doing and after that came my first bout, it was the most confusing thing I have ever done. Before I went into it I knew all the rules and how to play the game but now it was hands on learning. The first half went whizzing by I was slightly confused and I did miss the opposing jammer a few times but when the second half started I was ready. I gave it my all and made sure I was listening to my fellow teammates.
                                                         Me jamming it out during a power jam.


 Now I have been skating for a little over a year and I wouldn't give up derby for anything. I have taken hits and given some too, I have jammed a power jam and blocked for my jammer. I have met some amazing people during this first year and made some awesome friends. I have helped new girls coming in and seen them reach goals they thought were unobtainable, I have seen them grow from fresh meat to amazing blockers/jammers and better yet confident and strong women.  All these experiences have made me a stronger person and a better person. I am fit and healthy and I have gained the greatest friends I have ever known.I am more confident in myself now and I know that nothing is impossible it just takes perseverance.I'm not the best at writing about me and my experiences but I will keep you updated on me and share more of my time in derby as time goes by.
                                            Arson.

No comments:

Post a Comment