Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mental Training

Mental Training – Derby Style

“Decide who you want to be and how you want to live- and then continuously tell yourself you have what it takes to be that person.” -Jason Selk 


Roller Derby is a very unique sport as most women who join have little to no knowledge of the game and even less experience skating which is a recipe for frustration and anger.  So often I hear new skaters say things like “I can’t do that”, “I’ll never be that good”, “That’s impossible!” and “I suck at this”… News Flash, we ALL STARTED THERE (well most of us anyways, there are the chosen .5% who came fresh from the womb wearing a pair of skates and a helmet *cough* Torch *cough*)

My first day of practice I felt like a lost lamb in a hungry lions den, mentally I was a mess! The thought of falling, jumping, turning, hitting, crossovers, stopping, and much more simply freaked me out! Of course I looked like that awkward newborn giraffe trying to stand up for the first time, only I looked that way for weeks not just a couple hours. But at least I’d already made the first step in the right direction as I was there and trying!

My mind set in the beginning was very much like the new skaters I hear constantly… “I will never be that good”. While I’m still not the best skater on the track, hell I have a LONG ways to go. I can do things I never imagined I would ever be able to do. I can fall (the right way and on purpose), jump, turn, hit, do a crossover, stop, and so much more I never imagined myself doing.  I sure as hell didn’t walk onto the track my first couple of months with the confidence I have now.

So many times derby is more mental than physical, yes being physically in shape is going to make you a better skater, but having the right mind set is even more important. Be patient with yourself, no one was made great over night! Don’t be afraid that the vets are watching you thinking “Ugh, this girl SUCKS” we are aware of the challenges you are facing, we haven’t forgotten those awkward derby days of learning a plow stop and almost falling into the splits.  I think our tailbones are still aching from that first fall on our asses before learning derby position and the rule “ALWAYS FALL FORWARD!”

Roller Derby is already a difficult sport, don’t make it worse by talking down to yourself. Set Goals, be sure they are realistic, and don’t forget your plan of action. Anyone can say “I want to pass my 25 in 5 one month from now.”  But it’s setting a plan of that’s actually going to get you there that is the key to your success.

Example:
GOAL: Pass 25 in 5 by March 1st

PLAN OF ACTION:
*Do 4 extra laps during warm up focusing on crossovers and having fluid motion
*Spend Saturday Mornings at the local skating rink to work on speed and endurance

The most valuable lesson I want you to take from my posting is simply to “be positive”. Positive thinking is empowering, being confident that even if you can’t do it right now, you WILL be able to with your goals and your plans to reach those goals.

When I yell “GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD” at practice, it’s because I know what you are thinking. I know how you feel. Never say never and most certainly don’t say “I CAN’T!”




2 comments:

  1. This makes me feel better, since I am still the awkward baby giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Looking over the list of assessment skills right after I started, it seemed wildly out of reach. It's really not, if you try! Roller derby has definitely shown me I'm capable of more than I realize.

    ReplyDelete