Thursday, July 19, 2012

Clueless about core strength

July 10, 2012

Last night at practice I felt a little wobbly after having been off my skates for a week (no practice on the 4th of July). I continued working on plow stops, t-stops, 180 toe stops, and other basic stuff. It's slowly getting better.

We did some skating on the carpet last night, too. The resistance is higher than on the rink, so it takes a lot more work. Skating as fast as I could up and down the carpet, I still wasn't going that fast, so it was a lot more of a workout than I can get on the rink right now. I actually liked it. If it's cardio, I'm good. What I really need to work on is core strength. Core strength helps the body support itself during all sorts of demanding activities. Kneeling and leaning to give the kids a bath in the tub. Carrying the baby on my back for hours in the Ergo. Running. Using proper body mechanics to lift heavy objects. And, of course, roller derby!

There are a couple of strength-building exercises we do that are incredibly difficult for me. Planks, for one. I also know that my form must be awful. I can't see myself doing the exercises, but it feels awful! In high school, I could do about 80 sit-ups in two minutes. Let's not talk about push-ups, but sit-ups I was awesome at! Now, about a decade and three babies later with very little rehab, my abs are pretty much shot. Over the past few years I've had a separation in my abdominal muscles (diastasis recti--google it) and while it's mostly better, my abs just aren't the same as they were pre-baby.

I need to do something about regaining core strength and building upper body strength. It's the one thing I miss about the YMCA. I was using all the fancy machines and getting better, but because it was so hard to go with the kids and also expensive, we cancelled our membership. I can't do the Y and derby at the same time anyway, but this is still something I need to work on. Now I'm considering yoga at home and maybe trying some free weights, but it seems so complicated and overwhelming. I need to start small and build up, but how? Did I mention that while cardio is fairly easy, any strength-building exercise is pure torture? Well, it is.

I could really use the encouragement and accountability of a group, but it looks like I'll be working on this alone at home. Maybe I'll get my husband to do it with me. Or just sit on the couch and cheer for me/yell at me. Later today I'll see what Netflix has to offer in the way of yoga and exercise videos. Got any advice for me? Please leave a comment!

~Jenny Two Shoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment