Saturday, July 14, 2012

A terrifyingly awesome night at derby practice

June 25, 2012

Saturday night I went skating with a couple of friends to break my new skates in. It was open skate night, so I didn't wear pads. However, I did get the crossover! It felt great. I also came to the sad realization that I can no longer stop effectively. Plow stops and t-stops are both very difficult with my new skates! I'll have to work on that--a lot. Overall, though, it's amazing to skate in something comfortable and familiar. Yay, new skates!

Sunday night I went to practice again. First, I did my 25 laps in 6:15, skating with the pack. It was harder than skating alone, so I know if I can do it with them I can do it by myself a little faster. I need to get that down to five minutes. And you know all those weaving, skating in a pack drills that were scary to watch? I did them! The team went my pace and helped me along. There were still a few things that went completely over my head, such as 180 turns and some of the falls, but I've only been at it a couple of weeks. I will get there, and I think I'm going to love derby. I definitely love the people; they are wonderful.

I didn't realize quite how effective derby skating is for exercise until I got home and stepped out of the car. Owww. And it was so exciting and fun, it didn't feel like work at all while I was doing it. It's hard. But I love it.

~Jenny Two Shoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment