Sunday, July 8, 2012

Practice #3: Dreaming of new skates

June 19, 2012

Last night was kind of a drag because the rental skates I borrowed at the rink didn't fit right. I've skated in a different pair of skates every practice--sometimes two different pairs! The problem is that I'm a half-size. The eights feel floppy and wobbly, and the sevens make my feet go numb and hurt like hell. Also, every pair of skates is a little different, so I haven't had the opportunity to get used to any. I was offered two different pairs to borrow from others on the team, but they were both too small.

Last night I tried to do sticky laps and practice stops at the end of the rink while the others practiced for the upcoming bout. The skates didn't feel right, though. Then my feet went numb after a few minutes, so I had to keep taking the skates off to let the blood back into my toes. Anne R. Ki's husband, who played hockey and worked in a skate shop, told us that having your own skates is probably the most important thing you can do to improve your skating. I definitely believe it!

The good news? We are going skate shopping on Friday! We had a yard sale Saturday and are going to use the money we made to help pay for my derby starter package. Jordan is taking the day off work, the girls are staying with my parents, and we are going to Atlanta to buy me some skates. Friday cannot get here soon enough! I truly hope I can find some in our price range that fit. I'm going to be very disappointed if I can't!

When I get my skates I'm going to just wear them around the house. Yet another reason I'm glad we got laminate floors last fall! This will help me get comfortable with them, and I'll have plenty of time to learn how to stop, change direction, and all that. With skates I know personally and have the freedom to adjust to my liking, it'll be a lot easier to build on my skills from practice to practice. Yay! Can't wait!

~Jenny Two Shoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment