Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Trying to Motivate Myself

Derby is hard! Especially when you've never skated before. I know I've come a long way, but I'm now getting to a point where it's getting super frustrating. When I first started in February, I made myself a goal to be bout ready by our upcoming bout on July 14th. Guess what? I'm nowhere near ready. I feel like I'm taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back, which is causing me to suck at practice, thus causing me to question WTH I'm even doing in this sport. It's a vicious cycle and I have no one to blame but myself (whine whine whine). While I love seeing all these new girls come in and get on the track, it sucks to see myself still on the sidelines. So what do I need to do to get my motivation in check and get my name on that roster?

Time to bust it!!

I've decided that simply skating on practice nights isn't enough. I need to incorporate some cross training or I'm just going to continue holding on the wall, sipping my gatorade because my feet hurt. I need to quit being a baby and bust my ass both on and off skates. I'm starting my couch 2 5K program again and actually making use of the weight cable machine collecting dust at work. No more excuses or days off, I'll get nowhere with that mindset.

Get out of my head!!!

The biggest thing holding me back is myself. I have the strength, ability, and support from my team and fiance. I just need to get out of my head and quit telling myself I can't do it.

I'd love to hear what other skaters are doing to keep their skills up and motivation in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment